We accept donations of new and like-new children's books appropriate for age groups kindergarten through 5th grade. Please contact info@BarkleysBookshelf.org to coordinate a book drive or a book donation. Or, use the link below to browse and purchase books from our Amazon Wish List to be delivered directly to us.
We’re looking for community partners to host book drives! This is a fun activity to engage your club, team, neighborhood or family in a project to impact children in kindergarten-5th grade.
1. What’s Your Goal? Rally your group to achieve a meaningful donation goal! Teach members about philanthropy and encourage them to share their love of reading with children in disadvantaged areas by collecting book donations.
2. When’s Your Book Drive? A book drive should last two to four weeks. Select your dates and communicate them to Barkley’s Bookshelf. Notify your community through social media, email, newsletters, flyers, and posters.
3. Let’s Get Started. There are different ways to host a book drive. Determine which system works best for your group. You can set up collection bins in a high traffic area with permission from businesses. Or, you can collect children's books from neighborhoods, announcing the book drive and the date your members will be collecting books. Provide sturdy and well-marked receptacles with details about your book drive. Copy paper boxes are the ideal size. Review our book donation guidelines posted below. We strive to provide children's books that are current and gift-like quality.
4. Promote Your Book Drive. Let everyone know about your book drive through email and social media. Tag us on Facebook at @BarkleysBookshelf, Instagram at Barkleys_Bookshelf, or LinkedIn at @Barkley-s-Bookshelf and we will give you a shout-out! Remember, signage is everything! Hang posters and fliers too. You can download fliers at the link posted on bottom of this page. Remind donors you will be collecting new and like-new children’s books for kindergarten -5th grade to promote literacy in your local community.
5. Wrap up Your Book Drive. Email Barkley’s Bookshelf at info@BarkleysBookshelf.org to get an email receipt. Be sure to include how many books were donated. Thank everyone for their participation! Please make an appointment to deliver books to our office at 16722 Allemand Lane, Cypress, TX 77429.
6. Announce Book Drive Results. Email info@BarkleysBookshelf.org to submit photos to be featured on our social media shout-outs! Be sure to include your social @ handles and # hashtags.
7. Questions? Contact us at info@BarkleysBookshelf.org or call 281-923-8685.